This recipe mixes a traditional Spanish recipe (Arroz con leche) with the technique that you need to make risotto. The result is what has become one of the most flavourful rice pudding I have ever tasted, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Beware, the recipe is for one portion, although it is quite heavy.
- 50 g risotto rice
- 50 g sugar
- 400 ml milk (I used full)
- Lemon zest
- Cinnamon stick
- 25 g butter
- Extra water or milk if necessary
- Put the milk in a pan and start heating it at 80Cº-90Cº
- Add a stick of cinnamon and lemon zest.
- Heat for 5 minutes, stir frequently.
- Add the butter in a another pan. Ideally, lower the fire of the pan with the milk so it stays hot. In our case we put the pan aside and start heating the butter.
- Toast the butter by heating it up to 155Cº. The smell will change and it will turn brown. Don’t let it go higher or it will burn.
- Toast the rice. If you want it crunchy you can add it straight away. If you want it soft let the pan cool down till 100Cº-120Cº.
- Add a couple of spoons of liquid and stir until it evaporates. Repeat until you use all of your milk. This will take 20 minutes at least.
- Taste often to check if the rice is cooked and the texture. Add extra water if it is not cooked or you want it more liquid.
- Plate and enjoy.
It might seem a lot of work for just a rice pudding, however, if you taste and smell it you will fall in love as much as we did. I hope you give it a try this hollidays!